Hilda Florence HEINRICH
Also known as: née Lutzow
Born: 1899Additional Information:
Hilda Lutzow was born at Springton in the Barossa Valley in 1899, and as a young woman met Adolph (Dolph) Heinrich, the teacher at Nain Lutheran School. When the South Australian government closed the Lutheran schools in 1917, Heinrich was forced to travel to the Hermannsburg Mission to procure work.
Hilda corresponded with him and the couple were married in Adelaide in 1924.
The Heinrich's honeymoon was spent travelling through the south-east of the state showing lantern slides of Hermannsburg to raise money to print a school primer and hymm book in the Arrente (Aranda) language.
As well as teaching, Dolph collected items for the anthropologist Norman Tindale, and took hundreds of photographs. Hilda assisted him in this task. She was involved in the many facets of mission life including the beginnings of the Flying Doctor Service and the search for the missing Lasseter in 1931.
She also typed translations of religious texts (at one schilling per page), taught sewing at the school and began the first choir.
The Heinrichs had two children, Denis and Max, born while they were at Hermannsburg. In 1932 the family left the mission and settled at Gawler, where Hilda became the Institute librarian --- a position she held into her late 80s. She was awarded an OAM for services to the community.