Eileen Elizabeth KILGARIFF
Also known as: née Minahan
Born: 31/12/1891Additional Information:
Mona Minahan came to Alice Springs in 1931 to visit her sister, Eileen Kilgariff.
Petrick, Jose. (2010, November). The History of Alice Springs through Landmarks & Street Names. St Marys, South Australia: Openbook Howden Design and Print. pp. 109-110.
Three brothers, Joseph (Joe), Stephen and Frank Kilgariff – Builders, Joe also a hotelier.
Joe Kilgariff, his wife Eileen and four sons, came to Alice Springs in 1927.
They travelled to Oodnadatta by train then to Alice Springs on the mail truck of Sam Irvine (Irvine St).
Eileen held the license of the Stuart Arms Hotel from 1927-35, while Joe was actively involved in the business world of CA and renovated the hotel. Joe installed an over-head water tank and running water, put in a septic tank, built eight extra bedrooms and updated the dining room.
Eileen’s sister, Mona Minahan (Mrs Ron Haines) visited her, then worked at the Stuart Arms Hotel. …
Joe and his family left Alice Springs in 1935.
His four sons joined up; Kevin and Leo became RAAF pilots, Ron a RAAF pilot trainee and Joe jnr, an Engineers captain.