HerStory

Elizabeth NICKER

Also known as: née Elliott, Lizzie

Born: 16 February 1871

Died: 1 October 1951

Special Achievements:

In 1904 Elizabeth (Lizzie) Nicker arrived at Arltunga with her second husband Sam, 10 year old daughter Jane Doolan and baby Claude, born en route at Quorn, SA. They had travelled 4000km from Queensland in a two-horse buggy.
The miners were amazed to see that a white woman and children had survived the long and difficult trip to Paddys Rockhole, the original Arltunga.
While at Arltunga they engaged in numerous businesses including running a hawker’s van between Stuart and Newcastle Waters.  Sons Eugene and Ben were born in the Arltunga area.  In 1909 Lizzie gave birth to Margaret in their van in Stuart, assisted by her eldest daughter and an aboriginal woman.
Lizzie and Sam built a house between the Arltunga and Winnecke goldfields, established a garden and supplied fruit and vegetables to the miners at both fields.  Today the area is still known as The Garden Station.  Elizabeth’s eldest daughter Jane Doolan married Edward Hayes in 1910, the first wedding in Stuart.  Previous ceremonies had been at Hermannsburg.
In 1914 the family leased a pastoral property at Ryans Well and ran the Post Office there, connected to Stuart by telephone.  Later Lizzie was the town’s unofficial nurse and midwife.  She died in Alice Springs in 1951.


Resources

  • Image - Lizzie Nicker

    with her grandchildren William (died in infancy) and Lizzie Hayes (Mrs Milnes) Courtesy: PWCNT.

    from NPWHF Elizabeth NICKER file


  • References

    Nugent, Maria.  (2002).  Women’s Employment and Professionalism in Australia:  Histories, Themes and Places.  Canberra, ACT:  Australia Heritage Commission, p. 67.
    RYAN WELL HISTORIC RESERVE AND GLEN MAGGIE HOMESTEAD
    “Glen Maggie Homestead was established 500 metres from Ryan Well to take advantage of the wells and Overland Telegraph Line.  Sam Nicker and his family established ‘Glen Maggie’ in 1914 as a sheep and cattle station.  From 1921, the homestead served as a small telegraph station and local store.  Glen Maggie Station was incorporated into the Aileron Cattle Station.  However, Mrs ‘Cloudy’ Beale operated the telegraph station and store until the services were abandoned in 1935.”